Monday, August 22, 2016

Birthdays and the Fourth!

In June we celebrate Mario's birthday (on the 15th) and Bela's (on the 24th).

For Mario's birthday, we went a few days early out to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the Mexico vs Venezuela game and then I surprised him with a night out at a themed Bed and Breakfast (we had the Tahiti room and it was awesome!).  Shout out to Anna (a girl I met while working at VASA who I could completely trust overnight with my two loquitas)!  On Mario's actual birthday we had some friends over for a carne asada.  After that we had tres leches cake and the guys went to go play soccer and me and some of my lady/momma friends hung out with me and our babies!  It was nice to have a mom and babies evening.  Dulce and I had made a pinata for the party since some of the families that came had kids, but we totally spaced on doing it until everyone had left pretty much, so then Mario and Dulce just had at it on the floor and Dulce gave a lot of the candy to Niko next time we saw him.



For Bela's birthday we had a "normal" BBQ with hot dogs, chicken, and burgers.  We made a pinata for that too (it's super easy and Dulce and I like to design and make them together) and we did NOT forget to do that with people.  It was fun to see some of our friends from Provo as well as family.  Audrey and Lindsay both came with their kiddos.  Bela got some fun toys and a My Little Pony spinning toothbrush like Dulce has so she doesn't keep taking it!
So glad we got to see Sarah, Mark, and Stephen (not pictured).  I used to nanny Mark when we lived in Provo and we love their family!

Audrey and Lilly, Lizzie and Mia




It's hard for me to believe that Bela is already one!  She still seems very much like a baby to me since she doesn't like to stand up on her own (and that's with holding on to something) and she seems very far from walking.  (Ok, let's be honest - I don't know if it's laziness or what but she RARELY will even roll over from her back to her stomach.  She normally just complains until someone comes over and helps her out.)  I love when Bela has her bottle because it makes her seem more like a baby.  She is absolutely in love with Dulce and our cat!  She is normally very gentle and mellow except for when she's tired or frustrated - watch out!  If you're holding her at those times she will claw at your face.  She likes to clap her hands, wave, and hit her head to entertain you!  Her only word (which she's been saying for a few months now) is "gata."  She and the cat have a very special relationship since normally Bela has her morning bottle while laying on the living room floor and the cat will come over and try to get some.  Bela often offers it to her :)  Bela is 2% for height and 20% for weight.  She likes to eat mostly strawberries, watermelon, cheese, cheerios, oatmeal, bread, crackers, and raisins.  She likes her bottles and enjoys drinking from sippy cups.  For fun she likes to take all of the toys out of the toy box one by one.  She also likes to lay down on different textured surfaces.  For example, if we put some blankets on the floor she will go lay down on each of them.  Or on the couch she likes to lay on the different pillows.  Where ever she is really she likes to lay down and see how it feels.  (Even in her high chair, she really enjoys laying down right in her food!)  Her newest thing is shaking her head "no" for whatever question I want her, even when she means yes.  She likes clapping her hands and moving her head or her body a little bit when she hears music.  We love her so, so much.
Pinata!

Mark and Dulce


We also recently got to celebrate my Grandpa Earnshaw's 90th birthday!  What a feat!  We got to see a lot of cousins and their kids that I hadn't seen in awhile.  My favorite part of the afternoon was when Grandpa telling fable of the hare and the hedgehog.  All 35ish of the great-grandchildren sat around him and listened.  I remember him telling me that story in their home in NH when I was just a little girl.  My grandpa is the one that sealed Mario and I together for eternity in the Boston temple.  I remember him giving us some advice before the sealing, but since I was very emotional, he kept it short and sweet :)  My grandparents are one of the many reasons I wish we lived on the east coast!






Telling the story of the Hare and the Hedgehog
Grandpa surrounded by his great-grandchildren


For Fathers' Day, Mario got some fishing rods and that has become a new family hobby.  We go 2-3 times a week.  For the Fourth of July we went with some good friends (the Forbush family) up the American Fork canyon and did some fishing (well, just the husbands did this time).  It was really nice!  I don't think I've ever been up that canyon before.  It felt about 15-20 degrees cooler there - it was wonderful.  Are families have some neat connections and we're glad to know them!  They have two kids as well (16 months and 4 months) and we each brought a pack n play haha!  I had never done that before but it worked well so the littlest ones could get down and play without getting dirty (or eating rocks, in Bela's case).  We are grateful to live in a country where we feel safe, have freedom, and can progress.




1 comment:

  1. haha thanks for making me laugh out loud as you casually describe Bela's antics of not rolling over, feeling the texture of her food with her face, and eating rocks. love you!!!

    ReplyDelete